When it comes to fun and adventure, there’s no better season than summer to charter unknown territory with your friends. From traveling and hiking, to exploring your own city or offering up your time to assist a person or organization, there’s always something new to learn, unfamiliar places to explore, and grand experiences lying just around the bend.
We’ve collected six fun and different ideas you might like to try, or they may even spark an idea of your own. So grab your friends and set out on some new adventures, and be ready to make some beautiful memories that will last a lifetime. There’s still so much summer to enjoy!
- Get up, up, and away! Whether you’re heading off for a week at the seaside or a fun day trip, parasailing will give you the ultimate adventure of fun in the sun! It’s one of those “someday” activities that we always want to try but never seem to get around to. Unleash your hesitations and let your spirit soar!
- Take a random road trip. Let fate plan your fun by throwing darts at a map of your county (or of your state or country if you’re up for a longer excursion) and wherever they come closest to is your road trip to remember. If you happen to be near the World’s Largest Frying Pan or Biggest Ball of Twine, Roadside America will make sure you don’t miss it. Don’t worry too much about taking an exact route—the goal here is the fun and stories you’ll gather along the way.
- Food truck day. If you’re tired of the same old restaurants or just want to cut back a bit on spending while you explore your town or city, switch things up and chase down some delicious food trucks! Have each friend pick a different truck for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and of course—snacks and treats! Or have each friend pick a different food truck each week, and plan to meet for lunch throughout the month. It’s amazing what new and different things you can experience right in your own city.
- Go on a hike and pack your own trail mix. Hiking doesn’t have to be an all-day trek through the wilderness. Visit your local trails or your state park and relish the fresh air as you catch up,unplug, and drink in nature’s scenic beauty. Have each friend bring a batch of homemade trail mix to share during your outing.
- Try a completely new activity without spending a lot. Always wanted to try yoga? Never learned to swim? How about learning how to paint? It’s always refreshing to try something new with friends, and with helpful sites like Groupon and Living Social, you’ll find great deals and discounts to boot.
- Volunteer for a good cause. There’s no better feeling than helping someone else, so gather your friends and do something for the greater good. You can help build homes with Habitat for Humanity, volunteer at a local animal shelter, rock babies at your hospital, or even band together and help a sick or elderly neighbor by mowing, weeding, and beautifying their yard. There’s no greater joy to be had than sharing a simple act of kindness.