Now that we’ve discussed the beauty and impact of generosity and thoughtfulness towards one another in “Random Acts of Kindness: Part 1,” let’s see how we can actually put this lovely concept into motion and make it come to life.
There are a few different ways to do this. You can initiate the act. Or you could perform an act in response to a kind act bestowed on you (which is called “paying it forward”). You could do something nice for your friends and family. Or you could do something nice for strangers. But regardless of which way you do it and to whom, the most important thing is that you do it without any expectation of reward. These are totally selfless acts that are certain to bring you immense satisfaction and pleasure.
We also want to emphasize that these acts do NOT necessarily require large sums of money or a lot of effort. Even the smallest gestures—as long as they’re performed sincerely and without an expectation of recognition or acknowledgement —can result in the greatest happiness.
We’d now love to share a few ideas with you for FREE acts of kindness:
- Smile broadly and genuinely at someone who passes you by.
- Hold the door (or elevator) open for the person behind you.
- Let someone who’s in a rush cut ahead of you in line.
- Visit a nursing home.
- Give a sincere compliment to someone who looks like they could use one.
- Share magazines you’ve already read with co-workers, friends, etc.
- Bring in your neighbor’s trash cans.
- Share extra produce from your garden with someone in need.
- Write a letter to someone who has made a difference in your life.
And here are some ideas for LOW-COST acts of kindness:
- Leave a heftier tip than usual for your waiter or waitress.
- Bring a meal to someone who just had a baby or other major life event.
- Buy a candy bar (or magazine subscription, etc.) that a neighbor child is selling for a fundraiser.
- Bring donuts or other delicious treat to work.
- Put lots of pennies on the sidewalk for kids to find.
- Pay for someone’s coffee.
- Leave your change behind in a vending machine.
- Buy an extra ticket and take someone to an event (e.g., movie, concert, ball game).
- Send a care package to a soldier.
And as a small gift from us to you, we’ve designed a FREE printable that you can download today and give to anyone you choose. It includes 6 different cards that you can fill out and leave anonymously. Look at these cards as your chance to make someone’s day just a little bit brighter!
To download these free printable coupons, simply click on the image, and once the new page opens, right click to print or save the image to your computer.