Oops, you just forgot someone’s birthday. You didn’t mean to. Really, you didn’t. But life got busy, time slipped by, and before you knew it, their big day came and went—and you never got around to sending them a birthday card.
Yikes! The last thing you want is for that person to think you didn’t care enough to remember them on their special day.
So, what can you do now?
First of all, don’t feel bad or embarrassed. It happens to the best of us. Most people understand. They really do. Second, realize that it’s far better to recognize someone’s birthday a little late than not at all.
Which brings us to…
Last, but not least, the best solution to forgetting someone’s birthday is to find the perfect belated birthday card and make sure they know you’re still thinking of them fondly.
As far as what you should write in a belated birthday card, well that can get a little tricky. You want to definitely convey sincerity. And genuine remorse. After all, you truly ARE sorry you missed their birthday, whether by a day or by a mile.
But depending on whether or not the birthday person is actually angry with you for forgetting their day, a little humor can also go a long way.
The bottom line is, you want to address your tardiness and make the people you love feel just as special now as if you had remembered them on time.
Here are some belated birthday message ideas to help you get started. (And try to remember on time next year!)
HEARTFELT BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES
- Hope your birthday was as incredibly special as you are. And even though this wish comes a little late, it’s timelessly sincere. Happy belated birthday!
- Sending you the happiest belated birthday wish. So sorry I missed your special day.
- My most sincere apologies for missing one of the best days of the year: your birthday! Hope it was terrific.
- I’m so sorry this is a little late. But I hope your year will bring all great things. Happy belated birthday!
- Birthdays come only once a year, but our friendship is forever. Hope you’ll forgive me. Happy belated birthday.
- Hope all your birthday wishes came true. But just to make sure, here’s one more for good luck. Yes, maybe a little late, but absolutely heartfelt. Happy belated birthday!
- It’s embarrassing to be the last one to wish you a happy birthday. But I hope you had the most amazing day.
- Yes, birthdays are special days. But you’re special every single day. Here’s to you! Happy belated birthday.
- Happy late birthday. Please forgive me for sending these delayed wishes, but hope your day was nothing but awesome!
- Even though this card is a little late, the wish it brings for happiness is good any day of the year. Happy belated birthday!
FUNNY BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES
- I’m so sorry I forgot your birthday. But hey, at least I didn’t forget I forgot. Happy belated birthday!
- You do realize I didn’t technically “forget” your birthday? I’m just fashionably late…as usual. Happy happy!
- I’m mortified that I missed having some cake on your birthday. So to make up for it, I’m having two desserts today. In your honor. Happy belated birthday!
- You should actually be thanking me for forgetting your birthday. Because now I gotta get you two gifts: one for your birthday and one to cheer you up. Hope your day was terrific!
- Heard you’re celebrating a belated birthday. Bet all the other fools sent their cards on time! Have a good one.
- I know I forgot your birthday. But trust me, it hurts me more than you. I can’t eat. I can’t sleep. I’m shaking all over. Kinda like the flu. Please forgive me.
- Personally, I prefer to celebrate your birth month rather than your birth date. I’m still on time, right? Well, happy birthday either way!
- Seriously, there’s no excuse for me forgetting your birthday. But if it would make you feel better, I could surely make something up. Hope you had a great one!
- Think of this birthday wish as being either very late…or extremely early. I prefer the latter. Either way, happy birthday!
- The good news is that the earth didn’t swallow me up. The bad news is that your card wasn’t so lucky. So here’s another. Happy belated birthday!