No Bones About It
Any item outside an animal’s regular diet can be harmful to your pet’s system, but you’ll want to pay special attention to these:
- Chocolate, sweets with Zorbitol or Xylitol (commonly found in chewing gum and other candy), table scraps and alcoholic beverages – all of these items can cause digestive, metabolic and / or respiratory issues. Some of them can be toxic– even fatal.
- Hot drippings from pans and pots during cooking can cause burns.
- Be sure to pet proof the garbage can. Bones from your meal can easily splinter and puncture your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.
Look Before They Leap
Holly and mistletoe, Christmas tree water (which can harbor bacteria if stagnant or contain chemicals from the tree), holiday bubbling lights, and mothballs – all of these can be poisonous to your pet.
- Tinsel and wrapping paper can wreak havoc on a pet’s digestive tract and cause trouble for curious beaks. The inks and dyes in them can also be poisonous.
- Stabilize your tree – a climbing cat, jumping dog or perching bird can easily knock over a wobbly tree and be injured.
- Electrical cords can shock or electrocute if chewed.
- Candles can cause fire with a tail flick or playful leap. Smoke and fumes from candles can also irritate the sensitive respiratory systems of your birds, as will cigarette smoke and aerosol sprays.
- Clean up pine needles, and avoid using metal hooks and glass ornaments, all of which can cut paws or puncture the digestive tract if ingested.
- Finally, don’t tie ribbons around your pet’s neck – they can strangle.
Paws for Fun
Make sure you have a safe, quiet place for them to be alone. With all of the extra people around, they may need some time away from a house full of guests!
- Get your buddy a new toy to play with or treat to munch on while you open gifts. This occupies them and includes them in on the gift opening fun.
Do you have some pet safety tips to add? Please leave a reply. Thank you!