The date of September 11, 2001 is emblazoned in the heart of America and burns like it was just yesterday. It’s hard to believe that twelve years have now passed since that tragic day, and harder still to think about the 2,986 souls that were lost, leaving the grieving voices of the loved ones they left behind echoing across Ground Zero. It is for them America vowed to come back better and stronger than ever; it is for their legacy and their honor, that we have.
A Milestone for America
After more than twelve years of planning and construction, One World Trade Center, also known as the Freedom Tower, has risen like a phoenix from the ashes and reclaimed the Manhattan skyline. It is the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and stands as the primary building of the new World Trade Center complex.
Construction for One World Trade Center began on April 27, 2006, and its iconic spire was placed on top on May 10, 2013, making it the third largest building in the world. It is now the new icon of New York’s magical skyline and the most recognized and desirable office address in the world. This new beacon of freedom boasts an impressive, sustainable design, making it a symbol of renewal, strength, and freedom:
- Its parapet is 1,368 feet, matching the original height of the Twin Towers
- The spire on top of the parapet is 408 feet, bringing Freedom Tower to a symbolic total height of 1,776 feet in honor of the United States Declaration of Independence
- Costing over $3.8 billion dollars, it is the world’s most expensive skyscraper ever built
- The 180-foot concrete base is designed to resist explosive blasts
- There is over 3 million square feet of floor space spanning 104 floors
- 1 floor of the Freedom Tower was completed each week
- 71 elevators; it takes 45 seconds to the top
- 90% of the occupied spaces use natural light
- The glass is backlit with LED technology which uses less energy, lasts longer, and generates less heat
- 25,000-gallon storage tanks on the 57th floor collect rainwater to help operate other parts of the building and reduces the usage of water by 25%
- When completed, the structure will bear a “LEED Gold” certification for environmentally responsible design and construction.
- One World Trade Center plans to open in 2014
America Reaches Out
As we grow stronger as a nation and come together to honor, to comfort and remember, we at Blue Mountain stand with you and want to be part of the continued healing. Our way is through the beautiful words and art of our ecards that we believe uplift and honor those who have left us, as much as those who stand together with us. We invite you to send, share or post a note of hope and healing to friends or loved ones as we all continue to hold onto each other and face a brighter future.