It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t love Sandra Bullock. She’s managed to take on the role of America’s sweetheart without being flashy, annoying or fake. She is the quintessential woman everyone wants as their friend, boss, girlfriend, wife, drinking buddy, work-out partner…the list could go on forever. She has unmatched charisma on the big screen whether she’s starring in a romantic comedy or a serious drama. Her comedic characters are always funny, but never dumb, and her dramatic roles are authentic and relatable. And even though there have been a few professional bumps in the road – umm, hello Speed 2, Cruise Control and All About Steve – we forgive her because she’s not afraid to call herself out, which is just another reason we like her so much.
When she’s not on the big screen, Sandy is equally intriguing, spending a great deal of her time and money on important charitable causes. She recently donated $1 million to Japan Disaster Victims and has heavily donated to charities benefitting New Orleans after hurricane Katrina – most notably the Warren Easton Charter Foundation, which was formed to rebuild the hurricane-ravaged Easton High School. Although she’s called Austin, TX home for years, New Orleans is particularly special to Sandra as it is where her adopted son, Louis is originally from.
It’s not hard to believe that in high school, Sandra was a cheerleader and voted “most likely to brighten your day,” – a role she’s definitely lived up to. Here are a few more fun facts you may not know about Sandy…
- Sandra is the daughter of a German opera singer and an American voice coach
- She graduated from Washington-Lee High School where alumni also include Shirley MacLaine and Warren Beatty
- One her first roles was for a television series based on the Melanie Griffith/Harrison Ford movie “Working Girl” in 1990.
- Sandra took on the role for Speed 2 to help fund her own movie project, Hope Floats.
- She donated $1 million to the American Red Cross after the September 11, 2001 attacks
- First woman to win best and worst actress in the same year. Best Actress Academy Award for The blind Side; Worst Actress Razzie for All About Steve
- It is reported that she has acupuncture procedures done 2-3 times a week to help maintain her weight and ageless complexion.
- She reportedly hates musicals and has vowed never to participate in one.
Do you have a friend or family member that shares the same birthday as Miss Sandra? Don’t forget to send them a birthday ecard to wish them happy birthday! Also, if you’re tired of remembering birthdays or managing a birthday calendar, check out our free birthday reminder service - never feel the pressure of having to remember a birthday again!
Can you pick a favorite Sandra Bullock role or movie? Tell us in the comments section below.