The holidays call us to count our blessings – our family, our friends and our good fortune. We are also called to recognize the people who need our help to find their Christmas spirit this year. The holidays are the perfect time to channel our inner angel.
Anyone can be an Angel. Sometimes just a smile can lighten the heaviest heart. Do you know someone who is lonely or sad? Someone who’s struggling to meet expenses? Here are some simple things that anyone can do to brighten the season for others.
- Call someone you have not talked to in a long time, and spend some time catching up.
- Let go of old hurts and practice forgiveness in all your relationships.
- Be a Secret Santa to someone who might not otherwise receive a gift.
- Bake some cookies, make some hot chocolate and invite your neighbors over.
- Help out your older neighbors by shoveling snow, grocery shopping, or taking out their trash.
- Think outside the gift box and give the “gift of presence” by spending time with family and friends.
- Invite an unemployed friend to share in a special dinner or function and take care of the cost.
- Spend time with those who may be forgotten at Christmas and invite your friends to join you.
- Include a personal note in your Christmas cards to let people know that they are in your thoughts and prayers.
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter or food bank.
- Offer to babysit for a couple so they can get a night out or do some shopping.
- Donate money or goods to a local charity.
- Build an igloo or a snowman with the neighborhood children.
How will you be an Angel this season? Has someone been an Angel to you?